Written By: Rachael DeLeon, Executive Director
It’s Symposium season!
I love fall in the Midwest – the vibrant colors of the leaves, the sounds of Friday night football games, and the frosty morning walks with my kids on our way to work and school. Autumn brings with it a feeling of nostalgia and eager anticipation. And at the culmination of this year’s fall season is something extra exciting – our first in-person event in nearly three years!
When we left the Symposium in Portland, OR in November of 2019, we never imagined what the next few years would bring. But in the challenges, we found opportunity. Responding to the need of communities across the country, we introduced individual certification and capacity-building scholarships; we launched a pro bono financial counseling initiative; and we continued to enhance our programs and resources to better meet the needs of our growing professional community.
As we enter a new fall season, our team is counting down the days until we gather together in Orlando, FL for the 2022 AFCPE Symposium. To celebrate #30yearsofAFC. To kick off this new chapter for our organization. And most importantly, to do what our Symposium does best – bringing together a diverse community of professionals across research, education, and practice. To learn from one another, to make new connections and foster existing ones, and to grow in your work and your career – so you can continue to make a lasting impact in the lives of those you serve.
Giving New Meaning to Meeting You Where You Are
This year’s hybrid experience is giving new meaning to the phrase, “meeting you where you are.” It’s our bridge year. This year general sessions and featured breakouts will be live to our virtual attendees. There will be networking topic chats to open your mind to new ideas or connect with others who share common interests. There will be breakout sessions in person and online – all recorded and made available to every attendee through next October. That means no more agonizing over which session to attend – you can go to them all!
If you haven’t registered yet – there’s still time. Make the trip to the “magical” city of Orlando, FL. Or if travel is out of the question this year, register as a virtual attendee and engage from the comfort of your home.
Want to grab a sneak peek of our Keynote sessions – tune into AFCPE’s Real Money, Real Experts podcast – with new episodes launching every other week!
If you are an organization with resources you want to share – register to be an in-person exhibitor.
The experience of the Symposium is strengthened by our partners. Thanks to the generous Sponsors of this year’s event: FINRA Investor Education Foundation, Wells Fargo, Zeiders Enterprises, National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE), Association for Military Banks of America (AMBA), eMoney, Advantage Publications, Private College 529 plan, America Saves, Higher Education Financial Wellness (HEFW), and University of Georgia – VITA, as well as Canadian Sponsors – Farber, BDO, Consolidated Credit Counseling Services, Goldhar, and Grant Thornton. We are so grateful for your support.
In Case You Missed It
- Money Management Essentials has been redesigned with you in mind. Same great content. Brand new format. The course offers over 100 activities, knowledge checks, and case studies, and features two virtual client scenarios to provide the experience of counseling in a safe space. It’s 100% accessible, visually appealing, and interactive and engaging. Plus, it offers progress tracking for groups. A great stepping stone to AFC certification or a capacity builder for your organization.
- Forty-five military spouses were awarded the FINRA Foundation Military Spouse Fellowship to earn the AFC. Representing more than 40 bases globally, spouses receive free training and assessment to earn their AFC designation, which can help kickstart a career in financial empowerment and improve their own financial capability. The AFC offers comprehensive life-cycle financial education, providing the knowledge and skills to assist clients in complex financial decision-making.
Still to Come in 2022
- New, improved Connected Community – an online discussion board for AFC candidates and AFCPE Members. We heard you! With our new Connected Community platform, you can connect with one another on your desktop or through a mobile app. The new platform is bright, inviting and easy to use.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Essentials launches in November. Sign up for the interest list!
- Individual AFC certification scholarships and group capacity-building scholarship recipients to be announced in December.
AFCPE is a place to find your people, so lean in!
Not sure where to start? We’re here to support you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll direct you to where you need to go!
SETTING THE STANDARD,