Join top personal finance programs across the country by becoming an AFCPE® Registered Education Program.
These programs offer students and/or professionals the opportunity to earn a certification that enhances their degree and marks the highest standard of excellence in the field of financial counseling and education.
- Added value and increased recognition of your excellent programs.
- Provides students the opportunity to participate in the AFCPE Knowledge Bowl.
- Offers a streamlined way for your students to earn their AFC® certification. Students meet the AFC educational requirements for certification through coursework that has been aligned with the AFC Core Competencies.
- Students studying full-time at the undergraduate (at least 12 credits), graduate (at least 9 credits), or PhD (at least 3 credits) level, are eligible to receive 50% off the AFC® exam.
- NEW in 2021: AFCPE Registered Education Program students studying at the part-time level are eligible to receive 50% off the AFC® exam by applying for the Registered Education Program Part-Time Student Exam Scholarship. This scholarship program is funded by the AFCPE Strategic Impact Fund.
The Certification Council does not require, provide, accredit, or endorse any specific study guides, training or review courses, or other examination preparation products. The Certification Council, certification staff, certification committee members, and certification subject matter experts do not have involvement in the creation, accreditation, approval, endorsement or delivery of examination review courses, preparatory materials, educational programs, or training programs/products that prepare candidates for the AFC certification examination.
Qualifications for becoming an AFCPE® Registered Education Program
- Programs must be housed within post-secondary institutions accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies recognized by the Department of Education, and all coursework should be, at a minimum, at an undergraduate level of study.
- Coursework must cover subject areas that correspond to the core competencies required to sit for the AFC® certification exam. A minimum of six credit hours is required to satisfy this requirement.
- The required curriculum should be within a program that supports development in personal finance, debt management and counseling skills through additional coursework or other educational or experiential opportunities.
- The program supervisor must be an AFC® professional in good standing, or must have a graduate degree in financial planning, financial counseling, or another relevant degree.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
Major: Consumer Studies
Contact: Kevin Cheng, 540-231-8515
Degree Seeking Programs
AFCPE Registered Education Distance Learning Programs are designed for individuals who want to meet the AFC educational requirements through a reputable college or university, but are not interested in matriculating into an institution in the pursuit of a degree. Coursework is 100% online.
AFCPE® Student Opportunities
AFCPE is committed to supporting and developing future leaders of our field. You don’t need to be an AFCPE Registered Education Program provider to get your students involved!
AFCPE University Student Membership
AFCPE Membership is a great starting point for students interested in personal finance, financial counseling, and financial education. Membership also gives students interested in pursuing their AFC certification $50 off their registration!
AFCPE also provides other opportunities for students, including: