Episode 45: Government Careers in Personal Finance: Going inside Dr. Mary Bell Carlson, CFP®, AFC®
This week on Real Money, Real Experts, we’re putting co-host Dr. Mary Bell Carlson in the hot seat. In this second episode of our career series, Rachael talks to Mary about her expansive career path in the Government sector. Mary is a wealth of knowledge on the variety of ways AFC professionals can work in financial counseling and education at the local, state, and federal levels, and she offers lots of great resources for our listeners to explore.
Even if you aren’t interested in a government career, Mary’s passion for advocacy is inspiring and she offers great tips for career growth in any field. (Hint – it starts with building strong relationships!) As an AFC® and a CFP®, Mary has a unique perspective on the value of the AFC, making this an episode you don’t want to miss.
01:48 Mary’s Attraction to this Field
07:33 Why to Pursue Your AFC® and CFP®
10:02 The Intersection of Government Work and AFCPE®
11:37 All About Our Government Relations Task Force
12:49 What Mary Loved About Working in This Sector
15:32 Getting Involved at the Federal Level
19:45 Advice for Those Looking to Pursue Similar Careers
21:23 What She Would’ve Loved to Know Before Entering the Field
22:37 Mary’s 2 Cents
Show Note Links:
Chief Financial Mom
- AFC Certification
- Career Paths
- AFCPE Job Board
- Save the Date: April 25 – 29th: AFCPE Virtual Experience Hour & Internship Fair
- Join the Membership community!
- Cities for Financial Empowerment (CFE)
- National Association of Counties (NACO)
- Treasury’s Financial Literacy & Economic Commission (FLEC)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC)
- FINRA’s Foundation
- Government Relations Task Force
- Military Essentials Course
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)
- InFre & Retirement Counseling
Mary is an inspiration.