Meet Gordon Genovese of Zeiders
Welcome to the 2020 Sponsor Spotlight series! As we prepare for #AFCPE2020, November 16-20, 2020, we are excited to introduce you to our Sponsors, and more specifically, to the incredible people who work for these organizations. Learn more about the organizations and the people you’ll meet in the virtual Exhibit Hall this November.
Gordon Genovese is a long-time AFCPE Member who is currently the Program Manager for the PFC Services Contract at Zeiders. He works closely with the Office of the Secretary of Defense/Financial Readiness Office to provide credentialed, knowledgeable, and energetic financial counselors in support of our Service members world-wide.
As an Air Force retiree and former executive director of AFCPE, Gordon is passionate about AFCPE’s mission and its strong relationship with the military community. He is equally passionate in his work with all the professionals at Zeiders who are making a difference in Service members’ lives by enhancing their financial readiness through financial education and counseling.
AFCPE: What inspired you to pursue this career, or what was your journey like to get to this career?
Gordon: I began helping young airmen with their finances while I was a First Sergeant in the Air Force. Many of the issues and concerns of single and married airmen were rooted in financial issues. Seeing the impact of enhancing people’s financial stability set me on the course for this second career in personal finance after retiring from the Air Force. Now in my twentieth year that has seen many twists, turns, and learning experience, it is extremely gratifying to still be able to be involved in a program focused on improving Service members financial well-being, albeit in a different role.
AFCPE: What are you looking forward to most about attending #AFCPE2020?
Gordon: Seeing what’s on the cutting edge. The collaboration between research and practice is always the most valuable take away I get from each symposium – this is a strength I’ve always enjoyed at AFCPE.
AFCPE: What tool or resource are you most excited to share?
Gordon: Employment opportunities! Zeiders has a vast network of over 650 financial counselors and coaches, of which over 320 are credentialed as Accredited Financial Counselors. We are always recruiting to fill full-time and part-time flexible positions. Opportunities are posted on the Zeiders website at https://www.zeiders.com/careers/apply-now/ under Career Opportunities. We will also have recruiters available during the Virtual Exhibitor Hall times.
AFCPE: What message do you have for attendees?
Gordon: Learn continuously. The schedule looks fantastic. Make you plans to view all the topics you’re interested in – both live and then recorded.
Gordon Answers the Friday Five:
- Your Why: To continue to serve in the best way that I can.
- Your favorite quote: It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
- Your hero: Thomas Jefferson
- Your favorite resource: Other financial professionals.
- Your best advice:
- For someone starting the journey to financial well-being: Learn the basics and progress from a solid foundation. Don’t be intimidated, small steps are better than no steps.
- For a new professional: Balance objectivity and empathy. Numbers and data don’t lie; how you present them to your clients requires empathic reasoning and emotional intelligence. Your clients will appreciate your understanding, but will most likely reject your judgement.
Are you attending #AFCPE2020? Be sure to stop by the virtual Exhibit Hall on November 16 & 18 to say hello to Gordon and the Zeiders team!
Not registered for #AFCPE2020? There’s still time. Visit https://www.afcpe.org/symposium/
I am Willie E. McGriggs, PHM/AFC. I formerly worked with MHN as a MFLC. I received my AA in 1982. I received my AFC in 2003. I am working on my BS in Emergency Management Technology, I will have it by 2022. I have worked in upper management for the past 30 years. Is their a position for me at Zeiders?
Willie E. McGriggs, PHM/AFC