Written By: Rebecca Wiggins
Greetings from the national office! As signs of Autumn start to appear all around us, the team is working extra hard to put the finishing touches on the 2021 symposium virtual experience for you this November. The week will feature all of the exceptional sessions and topics that you have come to expect at AFCPE, with a ton of interactive opportunities for networking and connection that makes this a unique and meaningful event.
The strength of AFCPE lies in each other. We could not do what we do without passionate and dedicated professionals, or the support and generosity of our partners. This year’s symposium sponsors are: JPMorgan Chase, FINRA Investor Education Foundation, Wells Fargo, Zeiders Enterprises, National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE), Association for Military Banks of America (AMBA), ABA Foundation, America Saves, and Private College 529 plan. We are so grateful for their continued support.
What We’ve Been Doing
The instability and struggle over the past year and a half has illuminated the importance of our profession, of community, and connection. As I reflect on the hardships, challenges, and lessons we have collectively faced and learned, I cannot help but feel immense gratitude for the AFCPE Staff Team. Through it all, they have navigated these uncertain times with unwavering commitment to our mission and to serving you, our professionals. Here are a few of the 2021 highlights:
- Continued offering FREE virtual financial counseling and coaching nationally to people in need: https://www.canportal.org/covid-19
- Deep internal training and workshops for Board and Staff focused on equity and inclusion with action plan for accountability
- Refreshed Strategic Plan and areas of focus for AFCPE’s future
- Awarding the newest class of FINRA Foundation Military Spouse Fellows
- Welcomed Park University, South Dakota State University, Taylor University, and University of Kentucky to our Registered Education Programs
- Rolled out the new AFCPE Independent Trainer program
- Started offering Office Hours for AFCPE Education programs and Member Services
- Created a monthly Navigating the AFC Webinar to help answer questions for candidates and prospective candidates
- Updated the CEU Guide to help professionals maintain their certification
- Offered the first AFCPE Career Week + Job Fair
- National Heritage Months to celebrate the diversity of our professionals with tools for how to better serve all individuals and communities
- And this December, we will once again award certification and training scholarships to individuals and groups – with a lens on equity and inclusion to continue to expand this important work and our field.
With your feedback, AFCPE continues to evolve. Here’s what you can expect in 2022:
- Virtual Internship + Experience Hour Fair for those looking to earn experience hours
- AFCPE Member Affinity Groups for common interests and shared lived experiences
- New Learning Management System and Money Management Essentials refresh
- Website updates to better align your AFCPE.org and myAFCPE.org experiences
- Three issues of the Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning per year – with online-only accessibility
- More quality educational and networking opportunities – to keep growing in your work and your career.
- And continued partnership development – to ensure more awareness for the certification and more accessibility for consumers.
Don’t Miss This!
Have you listened to the new AFCPE Podcast yet? We have featured many of our AFCPE Members with episodes on topics like financial coaching, student loans, disaster preparedness, financial empathy, and building a private practice. Help other listeners discover us! Subscribe and leave us a comment to share your thoughts and ideas for upcoming episodes. If you want to be a guest on the show, submit the Guest Application Form on the website!
AFCPE has never been stronger — the team is talented, engaged, growing, and passionate about advancing the mission. With the new strategic plan, a dynamic staff, a committed Board, and a healthy financial position, the organization is well poised to flourish in the years to come. Join our community. Become a member. Get certified. Take an Essentials course. Use our resources to build capacity. Support our mission. Get involved. We invite you to experience AFCPE, now, more than ever.
No matter where you start, AFCPE is the place to find your people. Help us spread the value of AFCPE Membership, Certification, and Education to your colleagues and your clients.