Accredited Financial Counselor
AFC® certification marks the highest standards of excellence in the field of financial counseling and education. Our programs train professionals to guide clients through a holistic counseling framework of life cycle financial education. This allows the professional to provide a high-level, tailored approach based on the needs of each client to effectively analyze and create lasting financial behavior change.
The Abilities of a Financial Counselor
Accredited Financial Counselors have certified skills to assist individuals and families in the complex process of financial decision making, including the ability to:
- Educate clients in sound financial principles.
- Assist clients in the process of overcoming their financial indebtedness.
- Help clients identify and modify ineffective money management behaviors.
- Guide clients in developing successful strategies for achieving their financial goals.
- Support clients as they work through their financial challenges and opportunities.
- Help clients develop new perspective on the dynamics of money in relation to family, friends and individual self-esteem.
SELF-STUDY PROGRAM – Cost $1,000
- $50 non-refundable enrollment fee
- $475/course (The AFC Program has two courses. See Course Content)*
* GI Bill eligible. For more information contact Michelle Starkey.
Proctoring Fees charged by ProctorU, universities/colleges, education centers, etc are not included in course or enrollment fee.
Accredited Financial Counselors must:
- Complete registration form and submit the form with payment ($50 non-refundable enrollment fee along with $475/course) to the AFCPE offices.
- Identify proctor online through ProctorU, or at your local community college or learning center, and complete the exam. Candidates must earn a 70% on each course examination.
- Complete 1,000 hours of experience in financial counseling experience:
- * Offering one-on-one counseling or advising services for clients
- * Developing and conducting education and training for clients.
- * Developing education and training programs for financial counselors.
- * Education and training financial counselors.
- * Serving as an education director for a financial counseling organization.
- * Supervising financial counselors.
- Submit three letters of reference attesting to professional competence and experience (one from supervisor, one from a fellow professional and one from a client). This is completed once 1,000 hours is submitted.
- Adhere to the AFC Code of Ethics
Click here to enroll