Accredited Financial Counselor
AFC® certification marks the highest standards of excellence in the field of financial counseling and education. Our programs train professionals to guide clients through a holistic counseling framework of life cycle financial education. This allows the professional to provide a high-level, tailored approach based on the needs of each client to effectively analyze and create lasting financial behavior change.
The Abilities of a Financial Counselor
Accredited Financial Counselors have certified skills to assist individuals and families in the complex process of financial decision making, including the ability to:
- Educate clients in sound financial principles.
- Assist clients in the process of overcoming their financial indebtedness.
- Help clients identify and modify ineffective money management behaviors.
- Guide clients in developing successful strategies for achieving their financial goals.
- Support clients as they work through their financial challenges and opportunities.
- Help clients develop new perspective on the dynamics of money in relation to family, friends and individual self-esteem.
Step 1: Education
Enroll in the AFC program and complete the educational requirement. Several educational paths meet the program competencies and standards. Read more about each option below and click the attached form to enroll:
Step 2: Exam
Once your education requirement is complete, you will need to register for your AFC examination:
Schedule exams directly with AMP via toll-free telephone or online at www.goAMP.com. Exams will be administered Monday – Friday and at least one Saturday per month) at any of the AMP Assessment Center Network locations geographically distributed throughout the United States and internationally.
For candidates enrolled in the AFC program prior to Dec 31, 2014, please visit the Exam Process Transition Page.
Step 3: Experience
Complete 1,000 hours of experience in financial counseling experience:
- Offering one-on-one counseling or advising services for clients
- Developing and conducting education and training for clients.
- Developing education and training programs for financial counselors.
- Education and training financial counselors.
- Serving as an education director for a financial counseling organization.
- Supervising financial counselors.
Step 4: Letters of Reference
Submit three letters of reference attesting to professional competence and experience (one from supervisor, one from a fellow professional and one from a client). This is completed once 1,000 hours is submitted.
Step 5: Ethics
Sign and adhere to the AFC Code of Ethics. Certificants commit to maintaining the designation through ongoing professional development and annual fees. At this time, Authorization to use the Certification Marks is granted.
Step 6: Certification Renewal
To continue using the certification marks, post-certification requirements must be fulfilled each reporting period.