The CHC (Certified Housing Counselor) certification assures clients that:
- The housing counselor has passed comprehensive examinations on personal finance, financial counseling and housing issues.
- The housing counselor has signed a code of ethics and agrees to abide by the highest ethical standards.
- The housing counselor maintains the most current knowledge in the field of personal finance and housing issues through continuing education.
To complete your CHC Certification:
Educational eligibility requirements have been established to ensure that individuals certified by AFCPE have the appropriate level of education, knowledge and proficiency necessary to provide housing counseling services as a CHC.
There are two education paths for CHC certification: a self-study path and an educational challenge path. Both paths are designed to ensure that you’ve been exposed to the educational components that correspond with each of the core competencies on the examinations.
CHC® Education Paths and Fees
Both paths include the cost of the books and materials. Optional webinar reviews are also available for the AFC component of the CHC for an additional $500, and optional study guides are available for $50. Books and materials that ship outside the U.S. will incur a $35 international shipping charge.
Certification registration fee is non-refundable. AFCPE's Refund Policy.
New Pricing, effective January 1, 2018:
Self-Paced Study Pathway Increases to: $665 - $1890
- AFC books and materials going from $550 to $575
- Housing books and materials going from $275 to $290.
- AFC exam fee going from $650 to $675.
Candidates who do not hold the AFC are required to take two examinations: the AFC exam and the CHC exam.
Candidates who hold the AFC in good standing only need to take the Housing examination.
If you already hold the AFC certification, 1,000 of your 1,500 hours have been met, and you are required to obtain only 500 more hours.
Relevent experience may include:
- Delivery of one-on-one or group personal financial counseling, education or coaching
- Curriculum development
- Management of financial counseling professionals
Experience may be obtained in conjunction with exam preparation or following successful completion of the exam, as long as all requirements are completed within the designated timeframe of the certification path you have chosen. You may also include relevant hours obtained up to 2 years before registering for the program.
Note: You will be required to document your experience in an online resume form. The form will be provided to you in your myAFCPE certification dashboard after successful completion the examination.
Counselors certified by AFCPE® pledge to maintain the following ethical standards...Learn More.