Written By: Rachael DeLeon, Interim Executive Director
As we approach the 8th month of 2022, I’m reminded that there is a lot to celebrate!
- We continue our ongoing celebration of #30yearsofAFC!
- Take a moment, if you haven’t already, to leave a message on our Birthday Kudoboard!
- We’re preparing to launch a refresh of our Money Management Essentials course. A great capacity building tool for organizations or a stepping stone to AFC certification.
- We’re gearing up to open certification and training scholarships.
- Applications open August 1, and this year we’ll have AFC certification scholarships, Capacity Building Scholarships, and (new!) AFC exam scholarships!
And for me personally, I’m celebrating 8 years of serving the AFCPE community – which have been some of the most fulfilling years of my professional career.
As you look ahead to August, I encourage you to take advantage of the slower summer months by leaning into the AFCPE community and trying something new. Not sure where to start?
8 Ways to Experience AFCPE this Summer:
- Apply or nominate a friend or colleague for an AFCPE Award!
Summertime means award nomination time at AFCPE. The deadline for applications is quickly approaching, and we encourage you to apply. Award winners and nominees will be recognized and celebrated at the 2022 AFCPE Symposium this November!
- Speaking of Symposium…it’s time to register
There is no denying the magic of the Symposium. It’s an incredible opportunity to expand your knowledge, discover new resources, grow your network, and then take all that you’ve learned and put it into practice!And…after two years of being virtual, we are so excited to be back together, in-person in Orlando, FL! But in true AFCPE fashion, we aim to “meet you where you are”, so if you are unable to travel, join us virtually!
We are live streaming all General Sessions and featured breakout sessions, and will record all other sessions. This means you no longer have to agonize over which session to attend – you’ll be able to take part in it all!
Have resources to share? Register as an exhibitor!
- Stay up-to-date on all the latest field research.
The Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning is now published online three times a year – April, July, and November. If you are an AFCPE Member, login to your myAFCPE Member Dashboard and click on Learn > Research Journal to be redirected to view all the articles (for free) through our publishers’ website.New to reading research? Check out Research Snapshots. These brief, two-page summaries help bridge the research into practice – offering action steps to use with your clients!
- Register for an upcoming Professional Development webinar. Summer is a great time for learning! Coming up in August:August 11: Financial Psychology, An Overview: Learn how life experiences, personality, and other characteristics set the stage for future financial behaviors, as well as how to use structured interviews and assessments to learn more about the financial psychology of clients.
August 18: FPA Connect: Financial Infidelity: During this webinar, we will discuss what financial infidelity is, how to recognize it, ways to overcome it, and steps to take to avoid it.
Can’t make it to an August event, check out our calendar for what’s coming up! Or visit the events section in myAFCPE to watch them on demand at any time.
- Attend a Practitioners Unite!
You don’t have to wait until we’re back together in November to network with the AFCPE community. We offer multiple virtual networking events every month. An interesting one coming up soon:August 8: Practitioners’ Unite! Making Financial Planning Affordable. There is currently a marketplace gap for financial planning services for individuals and families who are ready to take the next step in their personal finance journey, but do not have the income or wealth to retain a financial advisor. How can we, the AFCPE Community at large, work together to bridge that gap.
- Join the discussion in our Connected Community!
“I feel so blessed that I am part of an organization that has so many generous people who are reaching out with such helpful information.” This is a sentiment we hear often in the Connected Community.If you have a question related to research, education, or practice, there is no better place to ask it than on our AFCPE Member discussion board. And if you are enrolled in the AFC certification program, there is an AFC Candidate community too!
- Tune into the AFCPE Podcast, Real Money, Real Experts.
AFCPE’s podcast is designed to build community and inspire your personal and professional growth. Every other week, we sit down with movers and shakers in the personal finance community, to talk about issues and topics that matter to you!The show is available where ever you listen to podcasts, so make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. And if you’re not sure where to start, check out my co-host’s latest newsletter article breaking down some of her favorite episodes from 2022.
- And my personal favorite, update your profile. This small step doesn’t take much time, but it helps AFCPE better communicate with you on the things that matter to you. If you are an AFCPE Member, it helps others connect with you on shared interests. And if you are an AFC, it optimizes your professional page on our consumer website, FindanAFC.org.
It’s never been a better time to be a part of the AFCPE Community. Reach out. Get involved. Spread the word. We’re glad you’re here.
SETTING THE STANDARD,
Interim Executive Director