Deborah Owens is the Founder and CEO of WealthyU, a financial wellness company. She is on a mission to close the wealth gap that exists for women and minorities by providing a curriculum, coaching, accountability and support.
AFCPE: What inspired you to enter this field?
Deborah: I believe the wealth gap is a knowledge in execution gap. After spending my career and financial services I decided to focus on helping women and minorities gain access to the financial acumen needed make wise financial decisions. Since leaving the industry I have written four critically acclaimed books on personal finance and then recognize that information alone does not address the investment confidence gap that exists.
AFCPE: Tell us about your WealthyU program and how you are not only bridging gaps, but really meeting people where they are.
Deborah: Our secret sauce is our curriculum which is derived from our published works. Our storytelling concepts provide context and the demystifies technical jargon used in the financial markets that causes people to feel shame because they feel ignorant because they feel they should know how to invest.
AFCPE: We love your creativity and innovation – from your business model to your public speaking? What’s next up? What’s got you most excited?
Deborah: We are developing the WealthyU App & Financial Wealth Building Platform to provide Curriculum, Coaching, Accountability and Support
Deborah Answers our Friday 5
- My Why: My why is my mother because of her experiences with financial hardship when she separated from my father after 33 years of marriage.
- My Favorite Quote: “Don’t let what you want today, prevent you from achieving what you want most.”
- My Hero (who inspires you): Oprah Winfrey and Madame C.J. Walker
- My Favorite Personal Finance Resource: Jim Cramer, CNBC
- My best advice:
- For someone starting the journey to financial well-ness: Create a visual representation of what you want your life to reflect 10 years from now.
- For a new professional entering this field: Listen more. Talk Less.
Follow me at (social media, website, etc.):
Leave a Reply