Government Shutdown Resource Page
If you were one of the 800,000 government employees who was furloughed, placed on leave, or asked to work without pay during the government shutdown, you may have been feeling the financial burden from the loss of a regular paycheck.
Find an AFC® or FFC® Professional in Your Area
You are not alone.
There are many trusted financial professionals who are available to provide you with support and guidance to navigate this uncertain time. Many AFCPE certified professionals – Accredited Financial Counselors® (AFC®) and Financial Fitness Coaches (FFC®) – along with the organizations that they serve, are offering unbiased 1:1 financial counseling, hosting workshops, and helping connect individuals to local resources.
The AFC® and FFC® designations give you the assurance that this professional has the education, experience, and highest ethical standards to help you through your specific financial challenges and opportunities.
To ensure that you are able find support in your area, we have compiled a list of resources for individuals and families affected by the shutdown. We will continue to update this list as we learn of more opportunities available to you.
Various Locations Nationwide
AFCPE’s Find an AFC® Search
An Accredited Financial Counselor® (AFC®) can:
- Address your immediate money challenges.
- Create a plan to achieve your unique goals & dreams.
- Build a sustainable foundation for long-term financial well-being.
- When you work with an AFC® professional you receive financial education and guidance specific to your unique situation and needs. An AFC will never sell you products.
My Financial Coach
A federally funded program with financial coaches in 60 locations nationwide. Learn more at CFPB’s website on Financial Coaching.
Financial coaches are trained professionals (AFC® and FFC® professionals) who will guide you in a process that is non-judgmental and based on your goals. They provide support, encouragement, accountability, and tools to help you make informed decisions. Together, you and your coach will identify your financial goals, create a plan, and track your progress.
No coach in your area? Call their toll-free tele-coaching hotline: 1-844-90-GOALS / 1-844-904-6257
If you are unable to locate a financial counselor or coach in your area, the list of professionals below offer virtual services.
Dr. Dominique’ N. Reese, AFC®, FFC®
Offering virtual 1-on-1 coaching for furloughed employees
Must make appointment
Conoon Kim, AFC®
Assisting federal workers affected by the government shutdown with 1:1 financial counseling and coaching to help setup a plan of action.
Glendale, CA (Available virtually as well)
Email Conoon or call 818-275-0751
The Table Financial Planning
Andrea Clark, AFC®
Offering 1-on-1 financial counseling for furloughed federal employees and their spouses. Services include: financial counseling and planning, debt and credit management strategies.
Free 30 minute video chats
Schedule here: https://calendly.com/thetablefp/30min
Virtual Financial Counseling
Christine Julius, MBA, AFC®
Offering 1:1 Financial Counseling
By Appointment Only
Location: Central Texas area Temple, Killeen, Fort Hood and Copperas Cove
Email Christine or call 254-245-6248
Not ready to meet with a professional, but seeking resources and information to help educate yourself? Partners, and members of the AFCPE community, have compiled additional resources to support you.
Below is a list of relevant articles, websites, blogs, and webinars compiled by AFCPE partners from eXtension Financial Security for All Community of Practices.
FINRA Investor Education Foundation also offers a great “To-Do List for Tough Times“
- How to Handle a Furlough: Develop a Plan https://njaes.rutgers.edu/sshw/message/message.php?p=Finance&m=136
- Resources for Employees Impacted by Furlough https://www.army.mil/article/99456/Resources_for_employees_impacted_by_furlough/
- Employee Information and Resources https://hraccess.tsa.dhs.gov/hraccess/pdf/furlough2019/Employee_Information_and_Resources.pdf
- FY 2018 Shutdown Furlough – Frequently Asked Questions https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/aboutsbaarticle/FY2018-Shutdown-Furlough-FAQ.pdf
- How You (and your finances) Can Survive the Federal Shutdown https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/how-you-and-your-finances-can-survive-the-federal- shutdown/2019/01/11/2c645604-1560-11e9-ab79- 30cd4f7926f2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1f8dd03e1b2a
- Financial Security: Managing Money in Tough Times https://articles.extension.org/pages/15275/financial-security:-managing-money-in-tough-times
- Managing Your Personal Finances in Tough Times https://fyi.uwex.edu/toughtimes/
- Pay & Leave – Furlough Guidance https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/furlough-guidance/
- Furloughed Employees Handbook https://www.state.gov/m/2018/288335.htm
- Resources Available for Furloughed Employees https://www.transportation.gov/mission/resources-available-furloughed-employees
- 2018/2019 Federal Government Shutdown http://www.211.org/services/govshutdown
- How to Realistically Save on Food Costs, https://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/eb141/entry_13514/
- The Easy Way to Create a Spending Plan, https://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/eb141/entry_13344/
- Utilizing the Library to Keep Costs Down, https://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/eb141/entry_13180/
- Budget Hacks: From Research to Practical #GetSavvy Webinar recording, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZeXnrTakKs&t=2s
- How to Save Money on Food #GetSavvy Webinar recording, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtjtW62EDwM&index=14&list=PLc0xo–6von5Sc31gTbXgkDUDCqPzGZ5ab&t=0s