Accredited Financial Counselor
AFCPE's certification marks represent the highest standards of excellence in the field of financial counseling and education. Our programs train professionals to guide clients through a holistic counseling framework of life cycle financial education.
Program Cost = $1000
- $50 non-refundable enrollment fee
- $475/course (The AFC Program has two courses. See Course Content)
- Proctoring Fees charged by ProctorU, universities/colleges, education centers, etc are not included in course or enrollment fee
To become an Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC), candidates must:
- Complete registration form and submit the form with payment ($50 non-refundable enrollment fee along with $475/course) to the AFCPE offices.
- Identify proctor online through ProctorU, or at your local community college or learning center, and complete the exam. Candidates must earn a 70% on each course examination.
Once candidate has successfully passed both exams s/he must:
- 1,000 hours of experience in financial counseling experience:
- Offering one-on-one counseling or advising services for clients
- Developing and conducting education and training for clients.
- Developing education and training programs for financial counselors.
- Education and training financial counselors.
- Serving as an education director for a financial counseling organization.
- Supervising financial counselors.
- Subscribe to the AFC Code of Ethics
- Submit three letters of reference attesting to professional competence and experience (one from supervisor, one from a fellow professional and one from a client).
The Abilities of an Accredited Financial Counselor:
Accredited Financial Counselors have certified skills to assist individuals and families in the complex process of financial decision making, including the ability to:
- Educate clients in sound financial principles.
- Assist clients in the process of overcoming their financial indebtedness.
- Help clients identify and modify ineffective money management behaviors.
- Guide clients in developing successful strategies for achieving their financial goals.
- Support clients as they work through their financial challenges and opportunities.
- Help clients develop new perspective on the dynamics of money in relation to family, friends and individual self-esteem.
Click here to enroll
The AFC certification has given me the credibility I need in my work helping people get out of debt, plan their spending, and save for their future!