Accredited Financial Counselor
Program Cost = $900
- $50 non-refundable enrollment fee
- $425/course (The AFC Program has two courses. See Course Content)
- Proctoring Fees charged by ProctorU, universities/colleges, education centers, etc are not included in course or enrollment fee
To become an Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC), candidates must:
- Complete registration form and submit the form with payment ($50 non-refundable enrollment fee along with $425/course) to the AFCPE offices.
- Identify proctor online through ProctorU, or at your local community college or learning center, and complete the exam. Candidates must earn a 70% on each course examination.
Once candidate has successfully passed both exams s/he must:
- Verify 1,000 hours of experience in admissible financial counseling experience:
Offering one-on-one counseling or advising services for clients
Developing and conducting education and training for clients.
Developing education and training programs for financial counselors.
Education and training financial counselors.
Serving as an education director for a financial counseling organization.
Supervising financial counselors.
- Subscribe to the AFC Code of Ethics
- Submit three letters of reference attesting to professional competence and experience (one from supervisor, one from a fellow professional and one from a client).
The Abilities of an Accredited Financial Counselor:
Accredited Financial Counselors have certified skills to assist individuals and families in the complex process of financial decision making, including the ability to:
- Educate clients in sound financial principles.
- Assist clients in the process of overcoming their financial indebtedness.
- Help clients identify and modify ineffective money management behaviors.
- Guide clients in developing successful strategies for achieving their financial goals.
- Support clients as they work through their financial challenges and opportunities.
- Help clients develop new perspective on the dynamics of money in relation to family, friends and individual self-esteem.
The AFC certification has given me the credibility I need in my work helping people get out of debt, plan their spending, and save for their future!